This has to be one of my favorite uses for delicious, cured bacon outside of simply just eating it straight out of the oven.
It’s a nice treat any time of year, but it’s especially great around the holidays. This can be done with any type of bacon depending on your tastes; hardwood smoked, apple wood smoked, sugar or salt cured…your choice.
One of my favorite uses for this little delectable is garnishing an Eastern Shore Bloody Mary. It’s also a great item to sit out on the snack table.
Prep time: 5 minutes – Cook time: 25 minutes
You will need a baking sheet, some aluminum foil (or parchment paper) and a cooling rack for this recipe.
1 lb. Thick cut Bacon (¼ inch or more thick)
2 cups light or dark brown sugar
1 Tsp crushed red pepper (or you may substitute – ½ Tsp ground cayenne pepper)
1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the pan with either aluminum foil or parchment paper. This is to catch the sugars and fat that drip from the bacon.
- Mix the brown sugar and hot pepper (or cayenne pepper) together thoroughly.
- Dredge and press the bacon into the sugar mix. Make sure that it is lightly coated and not crusted.
- You may sprinkle additional sugar on your bacon during the cooking process.
- Place all of the strips of bacon in a single layer on the cooling rack with a little space between the strips.
- Place that rack over the lined baking sheet. It doesn’t matter if it fits exactly. Just make sure nothing will drip onto your oven or the heating element.
- Place the rack and tray combo into the oven on the middle rack. Cooking for about 10 minutes then flip the bacon.
- Sprinkle any remaining sugar mixture on the bacon and place it back into the oven for at least another 5 minutes
The goal is to get the sugars to melt and caramelize on your bacon as the bacon renders and crisps. The time will also depend on the thickness of the bacon, oven type and heat source. Remember that the bacon will carry over cook after you remove it from the oven. This means that you should remove it a little earlier than your desired crispness as it will continue to crisp up as it sits.